Source: Caia Hagel
My friend has been farming for several years now and is starting her very own Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) this year. Her produce is BEYOND organic…they refuse to even use heavy machinery on the farm, instead opting to do everything by hand. She is taking 20 subscriptions for summer baskets this year and I thought some of you might be interested.
Trente Arpents Community Supported Agriculture – 2012 Season
Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) is a partnership wherein members and growers share the risks and benefits of a human-scaled and sustainable form of agriculture. Members commit to paying a portion of the price up front, which allows the growers to cover the costs incurred in the spring. In return, the growers commit to providing their members with a weekly share of fresh, high quality, local, healthy and ecological vegetables.
Although we are not certified organic, we practice farming in this way:
- All of our vegetables are grown, from seed to harvest, using only hand tools. This style of cultivation ensures minimal tillage, which otherwise damages soil structure. Using hand tools also helps to both reduce the amount of time the vegetables are exposed to noxious substances from machinery, and minimizes our dependence on fossil fuels.
- We use unheated cold-frames (built primarily from reclaimed windows) to start our vegetable seedlings and extend the season.
- We do not use pesticides or herbicides of any kind, even varieties sanctioned for organic production.
- We reclaim a variety of organic refuse (potential landfill) for use in our composting systems.
You might say we are primarily in the business of growing soil, and it is our belief that healthy plants grow from both healthy soil and ecosystems; building these are our main focus.
Trente Arpents Shares
We are offering 3 share sizes:
- Single at 20$ (for one person); or $425 for the season
- Double at 30$ (for a couple) ; or $625 for the season
- Family at 40$ (for a family of two adults and 2 children); or $825
for the season
There is a one-time, annual transportation charge of $25.00
Members receive a share of a variety of vegetables every week for a period of 20 weeks, beginning mid-June and going until the end of October. The contents of the share will change each week according to seasonal availability, but will always include a fresh herb, salad greens, and a bunch of cooking greens, amongst other things.
The vegetables are delivered right to your home. The day and time of the delivery remains the same throughout the season (to be determined, most likely Wednesday evenings).
The vegetables will be minimally packaged and minimally washed in order to preserve freshness.
There is also the possibility of obtaining other local and sustainable products, such as meat, cheese, honey, oil, and fruits, at an additional cost.
Please inquire if you are interested.
Registration form Trente Arpents- 2012
If you would like to register, please email the following information to: email@example.com
A 10% deposit + transportation fee is required to complete registration and ensure your share (non-refundable). Deposits are due on or before February 28, 2012.
The remaining balance can either be paid in full (before the first delivery), in monthly installments (due at the beginning of the month), or weekly at the time of delivery.
It is important that you let us know in advance if you will be away and will not be needing your share for that week.
Thank you for supporting Trente Arpents!